Transition Year Update
I hope you and our students had a restful break after a busy first term. Please find outlined below our November/December updates.
Prior to the Mid Term students received detailed instructions on how to create their first portfolio of work which included looking at examples of previous work. These instructions are available to students through their TY Team over the next month while they are putting it together. They must include a variety of information and can complete this in a scrapbook form or in a digital format. Students will be given some time in classes when they return from work experience to put the finishing touches to their work, but most work will need to be completed in their own time over the next month. The final submission date for these portfolios is Friday 1st of December.
Following their submission there will be interviews held on Thursday7th and Friday 8th of December based on their portfolios. I will be speaking to students about these interviews upon return from work experience but there is information and sample interview questions in their Journal if anyone wants to start looking ahead.
Most students are very prepared for their first work placement from Monday 20th to Friday 24th. We wish them the best of luck and are confident that they will represent themselves and the school excellently.
The Gaisce Programme Team (Presidents Award) has been established and students have had an introductory meeting where they were encouraged to think over the mid-term if they would like to take park. If you would like to find out more information about Gaisce please follow the following link. https://www.gaisce.ie
Key dates to note over next term
- Friday 10th: SciFest
- Tuesday 14th: Gaeilge 24 Day Activities
- Thursday 16th: Visit from Japanese Ambassador to Japanese Class
- Monday 20th- Friday 24th: Work Experience
- Wednesday 29th: Coordinating Careers Fair
- PE Classes: Boxing and Zumba
- Friday 1st: Portfolio 1 Due
- Thursday 7th and Friday 8th Interviews
- Tuesday 11th: Trip to Covanta (1 Class – other will attend after Christmas due to limited numbers allowed at once)
- Wednesday 20th: Ice Skating
- Friday 22nd: Christmas Market
As always, please don’t hesitate to get in touch if you have queries.